Search This Blog

Sunday, February 27, 2011

eSalon hair dye review

eSalon.com

eSalon is a customized hair dye company. You answer a series of Q's online about your hair (things like your natural hair color, hair type, length, what color you want it to be) and they come up with a hair dye package for you.



I got an email from eSalon.com for a free trial of their hair dye. So I went online, answered the Q's, and I picked out 'mahogany red'. (Got here in 3 days)
The package comes with:
* The hair dye
* Leave-in conditioner
* Stain gaurd
* Stain remover
* Little pads for the stain remover & stain gaurd
* A bowl (for the hair dye)
* A brush for dye application
* 4 clips (for sectioning hair)
* 'Bib'
* Timer (battery included)
and of course the instructions

Pros

1) Decent hair dye
2) Came out the exact color I wanted
3) Lots of useful tools (that I can use in the future, multiple times over, no matter what hair dye I use)
4) Only took 3 days to get here
5) I REALLY like that it's customized for me. Every bottle and the instructions had my name printed on them.


Cons

I know this is not going to be a favorite section because it does seem SO cool. But there are a few bad things you might want to consider if you're planning on buying this product.
1) (ignore if you have thin hair) The brush that comes with it is a very little brush that I can't use with my hair. It's not like the ones they have in salons.
2) The instructions weren't very good. It would have made a HUGE difference if they were written a bit better.
3) Even though I told them I have extreamly dry hair, I don't think they took that into account. Drugstore hair dyes (even the $5 ones) didn't damage my hair this much. (but it was just a little bit more damage!! Don't think it's gonna be horrible for your hair, cause that's just how my hair is. On an average girls hair, you probably won't notice it.)
4) It was a little bit harder to rinse out than drugstore hair dyes. (very little difference, though)
5) When you're ordering it, you can only choose up to 2 shades lighter than your natural hair color, so it's not as big of a variety as buying dye from drugstores.  BUT, they do that so it won't do as much damage to your hair.
Now you might not care about some of these, but it's just some things to take into account.
You have to pay shipping (obviously) so it's about 6 dollars more than going to a drugstore and buying dye. BUT you also get the extra tools that you can't even buy in drugstores (I don't think), so that might be a desicion maker if you really want those things.

CONCLUSION

I would probably buy this product again in the future, but not every time. I like the company, but it's a lot more to deal with than drugstore hair dyes. BUT, I think it might work a lot better on your hair if it's not too dry or thick. (remember, my hair is REALLY dry and REALLY thick.)
All in all, I say they're definitely worth trying out. If you don't like it (I doubt you'll hate it), well . . . don't buy it again? lol Hope this all helped you. :)

Mama's 2 cents

 My mom dyed my hair so this is what she has to say about it:
The equipment sent to use with this dye was not the best!!  Even though it had two different ways to apply, the bowl & brush were pretty useless. Well the brush anyway ~~ it is way too small for application, especially if the hair is very thick like Sarah's. So we used the bottles instead. Yes, two different bottles, two different mixtures, two different applications, two different timers!! Too many steps in my opinion. It also had two seperate pairs of gloves which I thought was very useful until I tried to put them on!! But quickly found taking them off to be an even bigger feat!! They definitely need to send at least medium size with the kits ~~ not many women have extra small hands.

8 comments:

  1. Is this the free trial kit or full kit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I had the worst customer service experience with this company. They were unable to formulate a color after I filled out the information and picked a shade, but they charged me anyway, including for shipping. When I chose to cancel rather than argue with the customer service rep., they got really snippy and condescending and I had to insist on a refund. They never should have charged my card until they shipped an actual product. Frankly, I don't think the product is anything superior to any drugstore brand, and after reading a few reviews and seeing pictures of results, I think it may be an inferior product. The typical complaint is that the color is, as you say, difficult to rinse out, and that their hair comes out darker than they anticipated. I can see how these two issues are related. Also, women with longer hair are all complaining that they're not receiving enough product to color their hair.

    I doubt this is worth the hassle of ordering or the price. L'Oreal, Garnier or Clairol are probably just as good, if not better, cheaper, and easily available to the average consumer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. personally I think Garnier has some of the best hair color out there I worked in a salon for years (I am not a hair dresser but I know all the tricks) and I have been EVERY color of the rainbow, I love garnier, their colors are vibrant, your hair comes out soft.. and they even have fun colors, like "hot tamale" - their reds are outrageous (which is what I like) - just this side of punk rock.. with out going to a semi permanent. But their normal colors are great too, well formulated. The blondes are really beautiful, and they grey coverage is fantastic (I went grey very, very young)... so this turned into a rant but... anyway I'd go with Garnier everyone.. and NO I don't work for them. -Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. The e-salon service has been horrible. I placed an initial order with them about two months ago and received my hair color in about a week, which was fine. I was going from a light blonde to a light brown. I completed the entire hair profile and even submit pictures of my current hair color. When the box arrived I diligently read and followed all of the instructions. The total process took a lot longer than I thought it would to apply by myself vs. store bought hair dye (about 2 hours!) but I assumed that would get faster with experience.

    The color came out non-brassy, which I liked, but it was lighter than expected and the coverage was horrible. There was a distinct difference between my roots and my color treated hair, even though I made this very clear in my hair profile and followed the instructions exactly. I contacted the company about this and they offered absolutely no help. All they recommended was sending pictures AGAIN when I ordered my NEXT hair treatment. No fix, no discount, no nothing. So I had decided not to order from them again.

    Recently it was time again to dye my hair and I talked myself back into esalon for some reason…probably because the color is non-brassy like you can get with certain brown box dyes. I ordered on a Sunday and by the following Sunday I had no received any tracking information on my order. I emailed them and received the response that they hadn’t processed my order yet, which was fairly surprising. I received my previous order in about a week and here it had been about a week and my order hadn’t even shipped yet. I was doubly upset because the only indication on their website of their processing time says they send your product out the next day, which is clearly false advertising.

    I called again and received the same, useless “customer service”. I was told the processing can take any number of days and when I pointed out that it was not what their website said all the representative could tell me was, “sorry”. They were also unwilling to expedite shipping or really provide any kind of service at all. In fact, they laughed when I suggested it. Unfortunately, because of the lack of processing there is no way I would get my product in time for an event I have this coming week. I had thought two weeks for processing and shipping would be way more than enough given the warranties on their website, but clearly not.

    I would never recommend esalon. I’m sure there are other services like it out there whose products provide better coverage and whose customer service is actually that…customer service. I will definitely be moving on to someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. eSalon is one of our sponsors. We're giving away four bottles of eSalon Shampoo and Conditioner.

    You get:

    2 eSalon Color Safe Shampoo (8.5 fl oz each).
    2 eSalon Color Safe Conditioner (8.5 fl oz each).
    Four bottles total! (34 fl oz).
    Total value: $59.00.

    How to win:
    1st Place wins based on Facebook score of those who participate in this reward.
    Login with Facebook at: http://www.GlobalTotem.com/reward-esalon-color-safe.php.
    You will see you score based on facebook activity. Check and see if you won!

    ReplyDelete
  6. one of the things you should not do is coloring your hair by yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sure Benjamin...you probably are in a hair salon biz !!
    Its like a photographer tellling the average person not to take photos and let the 'professionals do it. I know...i'm a professional photog. It aint gonna happen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use e-salon and I like it.
    Pros: There is consistency in the color in each application. With drugstore brands I had issues with the roots developing lighter than the existing hair color even though I used the same product.
    Esalon is very complete so I don't need to buy even color stain remover.
    The instructions are very good and I can always call for help too.
    They ship as promised.
    Save money over salon visits.
    I use the bottle application method , not brush and bowl so I cant comment on the quality of the brush.
    The color enhancing shampoo sold separately is excellent. I have red hair so avoiding fade is important.
    Cons: the down side is that you may not change your color by more than two shades in either direction but can go redder, golden, ash, copper, warmer . This is excellent coloring advice because in home applications trying to lift a lot of color from your hair to go much lighter can result in damage and frankly bad color.
    Costs more than drugstore brands.


    ReplyDelete